16 February 2020

How to Prepare Exam for AWS Solutions Architect - Associate

On 24 January 2020, I was excited to collect the trophy I have been dreaming about: the certificate for AWS Solutions Architect - Associate. While the memory is still fresh, I would like to share my story of how to achieve this. My first-hand experience, I hope, will benefit aspiring learners to get certified.

Why I take the exam


The past couple of years have been a disguised blessing for me. I got redundant at work and had personal difficulties, which explains my discontinued activity in this space. At the end of the day, I landed a job at a great organisation where I am able to add data engineering to my career portfolio (check out why I want to do that: https://doctor-fei.blogspot.com/2020/02/why-i-learned-data-engineering-as-from.html). The organisation encourages and supports constant learning among its employees and, as an AWS partner, values AWS certifications probably the most.

In such an environment, not getting certified needs good reasons rather than getting one: all from the healthy peer pressure. Hence my journey begins.

Be clear about what the exam expects from you


AWS services at the first glance are undoubtedly daunting. By 2020 there are 212 services available. No one can learn everything. Therefore a clear goal is the solid stepping stone to success. Make sure what you are expected to learn for this exam. The exam guideline is surely your good friend.

Have a good teacher


While knowing what to learn is good, a good teacher can make your learning experience enjoyable without the pain. I’m lucky that at my work I have free access to a collection of Udemy courses, where I find the prep course by Stephane Maarek outstandingly useful. It precisely covers all you need to know and also teaches you practical knowledge as well as best practices. The course includes two practice tests which I personally find the most close ones to official tests. The importance of practice tests will be discussed shortly.

Learn efficiently


When it comes to your own due diligence, a smart learner absorbs knowledge with efficiency. You should avoid only following the episodes of the online course and hope for the best. Here are my two cents.

Understand the business problems and how cloud services solve them


Each of the services are developed to solve business problems. Pay close attention to what scenarios a service fits in. A better understanding can dramatically speed up your response to exam questions. A typical question in real exam nearly always starts with a problem, “You work for a start-up. They plan to leverage cloud resources to host their company’s website without long term commitment. What is the best EC2 type for their purpose?” Catching the business related keywords “without long term commitment” here enables you to pick up the correction option quickly.

Hands-on practice


Without hands-on practice, even the best memory can slip off your mind faster than you think. I suggest you open your AWS account and follow all the demos in the course. For one reason or another, you would encounter, at least from my own experience, unexpected errors. Don’t get frustrated when this happens. Conversely I urge you to love and embrace them. To solve the issues you have to google and figure out what it means. In doing this, you most likely read AWS documentations and Stackoverflow discussions. Therefore you learn the nitty gritty of the subject. Additionally, the benefit of this troubleshooting experience can go beyond the exam. The errors will probably appear again in your real work and you have known the solution.

Learn repeatedly


Finally, practice tests boost your performance in the exam. You should time all your practice tests. Learn the pace that is the best for you. At the time of this writing, there are 65 questions to answer within 130 minutes. After a few self-tests, I find myself spending about a minute on each question. In the real exam, I have a slow start but I am not panicking because I know statistically I use less than 130 minutes to answer all the questions and everything is OK. Practice tests can also reveal your weaknesses. Treat what you get wrong like you see an error in hands-on. Dive deeper into the AWS documentations or watch the course video again. Repeating the hands-on when there is one is the best.

Conclusion


That’s all I have got to share. My theory is the general rules here isn’t only helpful to your AWS exams but any exams. I hope you like it. Please ask any questions, leave your comments, or share your success in exams below.

No comments:

Post a Comment